Monday, November 1, 2010

GOD'S POWER ON DISPLAY


Students sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ in Sierra Leone, West Africa
By Matt Halseth


“I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.” —The Apostle Paul,
1 Corinthians 2:3-5


I often get a surprised look when I tell people that my job is to take students overseas to tell others about Jesus. I sometimes think behind that surprised look is a question like; “Are teenagers really capable of telling others about Jesus?”

Yes, I know, teenagers can be energetic at times but when that raw faith and enthusiasm is channeled on the mission field, teenagers can be a powerful force God uses to expand his Kingdom. After all, Jesus himself chose 12 wild and rambunctious teenagers to turn the world upside down for the sake of His Kingdom!

A huge part of our summer is evangelism. Most students fear sharing their faith because they have never done it before. Fear is a natural response to evangelism. We are reminded in 1 Corinthians 2:3-5 that even the apostle Paul experienced much weakness, fear and trembling.

Throughout the summer we tell students to share their faith NOT in their own strength but through the power of the Holy Spirit. I am constantly amazed to see how effective teenagers are when they step out in faith, trust in the Holy Spirit, and experience all God can do through them.

These are quotes I received from our students after a rewarding summer of evangelism in Sierra Leone:

“Royal Servants helped me understand what I believe and got me excited about sharing it with others. I even had the opportunity to share the gospel at a prison to more than 100 inmates! God gave me the words to say.”
--Chad Donnelson

“I strived this summer to not worry about whether my words were perfect. But instead I prayed that the Holy Spirit would work through me, and that the girls in my discipleship group would see God’s love demonstrated through me.”

--Clara Gleason

“In the beginning of this summer I struggled with giving God every area of my life, and trusting Him. Quickly I came to the realization that I could not make it on my own strength, but only through the strength that God provides.”
--Mckenzie Lee

“It is so amazing how God can work through my life. I have never felt anything like this before. I feel privileged to be called a servant of God.”

--Kaylee Hofsink

“In Sierra Leone God gave me more of a heart for street ministry, and one-on-one evangelism; even if it meant being persecuted.”
--Daniel Spelliscy

“I learned how to pray more passionately and earnestly seek what God had for me. This summer also helped me feel more equipped and confident in sharing my faith in Christ.”
--Bekah Basinger

Sharing the gospel with a complete stranger in a foreign land is just one fear to overcome. But bringing our mandated message home to friends and family brings about whole new levels of fear and trembling. Please pray that our students would be bold in their own schools and communities, and that they may continue to see God’s power on display!

No comments: