The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. – Psalm 9:9
Since my return home people ask me, “How was your trip Matt?” I typically respond with, “It was amazing!” or “It was awesome!” And while that description of our trip is true, it certainly doesn’t explain just everything that our team felt and experienced. As the trip leader, I can honestly say that EVERYONE on the team was blessed beyond anything they had hoped for or imagined. We ALL fell in love with the refugees we got to know and also with our ministry partners (SEND Int’l), who work tirelessly in Macedonia. Here are some highlights from our ministry at the refugee camp:
· Served food to 1300 hungry refugees for a week
· Provided 6500 additional meals through “Feed My Starving Children”
· Funded 3 additional days of food distribution for the refugees
· Interacted with refugees through conversations, sports, and visits to shelters
· Helped with individual needs – provided medicine, repaired broken glasses, etc.
· Humbled by the hospitality of the refugees who offered what little they had
· Shared countless cups of tea with the refugees and blessed by their friendship
· Listened to tragic, courageous stories fleeing war-torn countries pursuing freedom
· Loved children by playing games, and providing toys & school supplies
· Offered New Testaments and shared the gospel of Jesus Christ with open hearts
Wow! We were so blessed to experience God’s compassionate heart for the refugees. He LOVES the oppressed and He IS a strong shelter in times of trouble. Thank you for showing His love through your prayers and gifts to make it ALL happen!